CHINESE TAKEOUT-STYLE TOFU AND BROCCOLI
Nisha Vora The Vegan Instant Pot
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp Sriracha or similar chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar (also known as rice wine vinegar)
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar or coconut nectar (or maple syrup, but that will have a more robust, less neutral flavor)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp Sriracha or similar chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2-inch piece fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp grapeseed oil or other neutral, high-heat cooking oil
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- White rice or brown rice (for serving)
Drain the tofu and cut into 4 slabs. Place the tofu on a cutting board lined with paper towels. Place more paper towels on top of the tofu and weight them down with a few heavy cookbooks or a heavy skillet filled with a few cans of beans. Let sit for at least 30 minutes or ideally 1 hour, changing the paper towels in between to drain all of the moisture. Cut the tofu into 3⁄4-inch cubes.
Place the tofu in a gallon-size zip-top bag and add the tamari, Sriracha, sesame oil, and vinegar. Toss to combine and let the tofu rest in the marinade for 5 minutes, massaging occasionally.
Meanwhile, make the ginger-chili sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, agave nectar, water, Sriracha, sesame oil, vinegar, and ginger until well combined.
Select the Sauté setting on the Instant Pot and let the pot heat up for a few minutes before adding the grapeseed oil. Once the display reads “HOT,” use a slotted spoon or fork to carefully transfer the marinated tofu to the pot. Cook the tofu for 1 1⁄2 minutes undisturbed. Use a spatula to flip and cook the tofu until it starts to brown on all sides, 3 to
4 minutes total.
Add the ginger-chili sauce and stir to combine. Select the Cancel setting.
Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Select the Pressure Cook setting at high pressure and set the cook time to 3 minutes.
Once the 3-minute timer has completed and beeps, perform a quick pressure release by carefully switching the Pressure Release knob from Sealing to Venting.
Open the pot. Add the broccoli florets to the tofu and stir with the sauce to combine. Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Select the Pressure Cook setting to low pressure and set the cook time to 1 minute. Once the 1-minute timer has completed and beeps, carefully perform another quick pressure release.
In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch with 1⁄4 cup water, whisking until combined without any lumps. Select the Sauté setting and press the Sauté button again until you reach Less heat. Add the cornstarch slurry to the Instant Pot and gently stir to combine.
Cook, stirring gently, until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the tofu and broccoli over rice.